Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA admits to errors in many mtDNA sequences
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 06:59:08 EST

The link to the FASTA file was recently removed from the customer's results
page, so there will be no way to check unless people saved a FASTA file.

I thought I understood from Eileen Krause that last fall's nomenclature
update at FTDNA would bring it into alignment with SMGF, which in turn is based
on recommendations from the FBI. This would be 524.1A 524.2C (adding an AC
repeat to the right-hand end) or 523d 524d (removing the last AC repeat).
FTDNA has reported it in different ways over the years, and apparently it
still differs from the FBI recommendation (AFAIK, the only organization that has
published a paper). MITOMAP has quite an ugly list of nomenclature
variations that have been used in the literature, and Bill Hurst might have covered
even more in his JoGG article.

http://mitomap.org/bin/view/MITOMAP/PolymorphismsControl

http://www.jogg.info/32/hurst.pdf

As Thomas noted, the raw sequence data would be the same, regardless of how
the mutation list was presented. However, Ian's point is that working from
the mutation list to create a FASTA file for GenBank submissions (as he
often/always does) may generate an error in the FASTA file there.

Ann Turner

In a message dated 2/4/2010 3:11:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Dr. Krahn appears to be claiming that the FASTA file is actually the
> 'master', and is correct; and that only the mutation list is nonstandard.
> Can someone confirm this?

This thread: