From: "Charles Acree" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Using partial repeats and other imperfect markers
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:45:34 -0600

I've mentioned to this list before that our Acree Project at Ancestry.com benefits extraordinarily from a distinctive partial repeat ("microvariant" or "fractional" value) at DYS 385b (13.2 - reported by SMGF to have a frequency of 0.00043), which is shared by four-fifths of our participants. We simply couldn't test at FTDNA, and our use of Y-Search is handicapped. As Andrew implies, if FTDNA had reported such values to its customers (instead of "rounding" them, for whatever short-sighted reason), many now-hidden patterns would have been revealed to haplogroup and geographical projects, as well as to surname projects. Al was wise to test elsewhere additionally. The problem is that, when FTDNA finally relents and widens its boxes, it's hard to imagine how it will possibly provide precise results to everyone retroactively. So many otherwise-satisfied customers are going to be pretty mad that they were shortchanged.

Charles Acree

Message: 12