From: "Ron" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA admits to errors in many mtDNA sequences
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:13:08 -0600

Hi Jim,

FTDNA, according to a co-admin of the U4 Project, sent this notification to all project admins on 7 Oct 2009, of which I just became aware two days ago:

"Updated motifs: In some cases, a single mtDNA sequence may be written in more than one way. We have identified these cases among our customers, and in the update we will adjust all of them to a consistent nomenclature. This will affect a very small number of participants. In the past we have also varied in how we report insertions and deletions in the 513-524 stretch of mtDNA. In the update we will adjust all of these to the same nomenclature."

Nothing was mentioned about a computer programming error, corrupted FASTA files, the non-existence of 524.1C 524.2A, and the like. It was presented as a "nomenclature issue," not as it should have been, as a software error that was perpetuated for quite a long time. It wasn't until October 2009 that someone recognized the error. It has nothing to do with nomenclature, mind you, as Thomas and some others might suggest. This "sweeping under the rug" tactic, well ... FTDNA should express remorse. If the software issue had been expressed in the notification, we would not be so late in recognizing the problem and bringing it to the light of day.

Ron

This thread: