From: "Ron" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA admits to errors in many mtDNA sequences
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:05:31 -0600

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:37:18 -0600, Lawrence asked:

1) Why has FTDNA removed the customer option to download the FASTA sequence
directly?

2) When the customer did have this option, was he getting the original FASTA
sequence from the lab, or a (mis)interpretation based on the mutation list?

To answer the first question: According to Eileen at FTDNA, "The disappearance was due to a violation of privacy controls; if the participant turned off the option for a particular group administrator to see their mtDNA results, the FASTA file would still be available. We removed the link until this can be corrected." So, I understand this to mean that the option will be restored for participants only when the IT guys get around to that.

On to the second: There is no original FASTA file from which FTDNA generates a mutation list. The FASTA file is a generation of a mutation list that they have, so if it has 524.1C 524.2A, then the FASTA sequence is corrupt and needs to be edited or discarded, as we can all see from all the 38 GenBank examples provided by Ian, along with any future mutation list that is generated (e.g., by GEN-SNiP) from that. It's simply a repetition of the error that originated in the software that wasn't corrected until October 2009 and disguised as a "nomenclature issue."

This thread: