From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA] Variance Assessment of R:U106 DYS425Null Cluster
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 21:39:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anatole Klyosov" <>
If mutation counting is very mysterious to you, how can we go
> further?

What you call mutation counting is mysterious to me. Suppose you have a
collection of ten haplotypes of 4 STRs
They are shown below with counts of each haplotype variation. I can count
number of STR differences from an assumed intial haplotype
which shows four copies. But I personally would not consider that a count
of the number of mutations. Some of those differences are probably the
consequences of a singular past mutation.

So is your "mutation count" in this example seven (7) ?

(4) 10 10 10 10
(1) 10 10 9 10
(2) 10 11 10 10
(1) 10 9 11 9