From: Thomas Krahn <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe mtDNA results, two different SNPs at same position
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 01:17:38 -0600

Kathy,

The position myDNA:16129 can in deed have 3 different alleles (G, A or
in rare cases C) in different persons.
16129C can be found in haplogroup U2e I believe (don't pin me down on
the exact haplogroup name. It may be outdated; mtDNA haplogroups are
still a foreign language for me which I'll never learn. Other persons at
FTDNA are taking care of this).

The intention of the designer of the i3001605 probe was apparently to
pick up the rare C variant. This can of course only work if there is no
A allele at this position because the Illumina bead chip can only detect
2 different bases. Therefore a second probe location was necessary.

So in order to interpret these two markers the analyst must consider the
quality scores of the base calls. If they are not available it is at
least necessary to consider the haplogroup context. Only if the other
alleles are already pointing to haplogroup U2 the probe i3001605 should
be taken into consideration. In all other cases this probe should be
simply ignored because it may show a weak false positive signal.

I hope this helps,

Thomas