From: William Hurst <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] odd mutation marker
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:55:02 -0500

Hi Cornelia and all,

You have a heteroplasmy at 16093. That means your mtDNA has a combination of the Cambridge Reference Sequence's T variant and the normal mutation's C variant. FTDNA only calls a heteroplasmy if each variant is at least 30% of the DNA. "Y" is simply the code for the combination of C and T. 16093 is the most heteroplasmic position in HVR1. You might also see 16093N, where the "N" means a heteroplasmy of undetermined variants. In reality, those are older sequences before FTDNA started assigning the codes; so in this case it's the same as "Y." See the FTDNA FAQ at:
https://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/10.aspx

For Mitosearch, just ignore the 16093 position; you are about equally as likely to be related to someone with or without 16093C.

Bill Hurst

> the first mutation in my HVR1 is 16093Y. not C, G, T, or A.
>
> can anyone tell me why I have a Y? I asked FTdna but figured I'd ask
> here.
>
> needless to say, I can't check myself against anyone at Mitosearch
> with this odd marker.
>
> Cornelia

This thread: