From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Intraclade Age Sigma "Unknowable"
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 09:07:31 -0800

Hi Ken,
Aha! :-)

From your postings and emails I have quit on the intraclade estimation
a while back. I been using the TMRCA pairs estimation instead as I
could not quite come to grips with what the interclade estimation was
doing for me. It gives an age between two groups, but not of one ...

I appreciate your efforts very much! Slowly I'm coming around to
understanding things more fully.
Al

> On 2/7/2010 8:34 AM, Ken Nordtvedt wrote:
> Doing TMRCA for a pair of haplotypes is doing an INTERCLADE age estimate.
>
> Look at your tree. There is no demographic uncertainty; there is only the
> tree depth uncertainty which you will estimate.
>
> You don't need intraclade confidence intervals if you quit doing intraclade
> age estimates. Reformulate what you want to learn in terms of a collection
> of interclade age estimates.

This thread: