Subject: Re: [DNA] placing your research online
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:01:18 -0800

Lindsey, if you do not place your genealogy online, then you are
perpetuating the research you say has errors in it.

during my 21 years of research, I have occasionally started up the
wrong branch of a tree, and am guilty of having put it on the web. in
one instance, people have taken my error and run with it-not that
they've attempted to add to it, but they have copied it. however, I
have corrected it and emailed the people who copied that part of my
tree and notified them of my error. so I have made every effort
available to me to clear up my error and put as accurate a tree as
possible online. without doing so, it's just a mess of erronious
data. whenever we can put accurate, documented genealogy online, we
should so that people can look at, compare and consider the available
data. it's the same as publishing a thesis in theory. as for those who
just won't share, the people in your tree aren't just your ancestors
and relatives, we are all related and all trees interconnect at some
point, and you don't have imperial rights to the data. sharing would
put you in a better possition for possibly ending up with a long lost
bible or other family treasures, which you are cutting yourself off
from by not sharing.

Cornelia

This thread: