Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:29:04 -0500

I have to trust that the government had good intentions when enacting
this policy. But I do believe in informed consent and in educating the
parents. To get a clear idea why the DNA is useful, see:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/22684_51920.asp and

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_15455.asp

I think it would be heart wrenching to see a child who is otherwise
healthy suddenly have a seizure and become a vegetable because nobody
thought to test for
Medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency or to watch an
apparently normal child who was not tested for isovaleric acidemia
suddenly develop permanent neurological damage when a low protein diet
and supplements could have prevented the disease. Until recently, if
you happened to live in the wrong state, your baby would not be tested
for some of these metabolic disorders. Some states may still be
catching up. Maybe these diseases are rare, but each one costs
society. The only people to gain from these tragedies are the ambulance
chasing lawyers who seek "wrong diagnosis" cases.

So what should be done with these blood spots? Should they be: returned
to the parents? stored for safe keeping? claimed by the child at
maturity? used for future government studies? used for paternity and
child support cases? used for forensic identification purposes? given
to next of kin after death? destroyed? Who owns this DNA anyway?

Kathy J.

This thread: