Subject: Re: [DNA] placing your research online
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:46:10 EST

CORNELIA: Lindsey, if you do not place your genealogy online, then you are
perpetuating the research you say has errors in it.

during my 21 years of research, I have occasionally started up the
wrong branch of a tree, and am guilty of having put it on the web. in
one instance, people have taken my error and run with it-not that
they've attempted to add to it, but they have copied it. however, I
have corrected it and emailed the people who copied that part of my
tree and notified them of my error. so I have made every effort
available to me to clear up my error and put as accurate a tree as
possible online.

LINDSEY: I didn't make the erroneous chart (it was made long before I was
born) , I didn't disseminate it, nor have I posted any faulty information
of my own for others to copy.

Correct lineages for my family are posted at my Britton project with DNA
results to support them.

CORNELIA:: whenever we can put accurate, documented genealogy online, we
should so that people can look at, compare and consider the available
data. it's the same as publishing a thesis in theory.

as for those who just won't share, the people in your tree aren't just
your ancestors
and relatives, we are all related and all trees interconnect at some
point, and you don't have imperial rights to the data. sharing would
put you in a better possition for possibly ending up with a long lost
bible or other family treasures, which you are cutting yourself off
from by not sharing.

LINDSEY: You are jumping to conclusions. The fact that I'm not putting a
GEDCOM online doesn't mean I don't share my work. I don't even have a
complete GEDCOM myself--making one would take forever, because I have traced as
many lines as I can as far back as I can.

There are other ways to share, however, and since I started doing my own
research, I have given far more than I have ever received, and that
includes researching pedigrees and applying to the Jamestowne Society, the DAR,
SR, and the Colonial Dames on behalf of several friends and relatives. The
Britton Project is more or less a one way street, too, although I've enjoyed
the work over the past (almost) three years. I've also given papers and
some of my research to the local historical society.

This thread: