From: Steven Bird <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:24:55 -0500

This issue came up recently in Texas. The decision was made by the state government to destroy all blood samples not obtained with the parents' express written consent since the collection was started in 1999. Going forward, all parents of children born in Texas now have the chance to "opt out" on the storage of their infant's blood sample; otherwise the sample will go to a state-maintained medical database, to be made available for future medical research. Essentially, the donated samples become a medical research resource. I thought that it was an interesting solution.

Steve Bird

> > So what should be done with these blood spots? Should they be: returned
> > to the parents? stored for safe keeping? claimed by the child at
> > maturity? used for future government studies? used for paternity and
> > child support cases? used for forensic identification purposes? given
> > to next of kin after death? destroyed? Who owns this DNA anyway?
> >
> > Kathy J.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/

This thread: