From: Steven Bird <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] placing your research online
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:36:38 -0500

Indeed. My 17th c. Hartford Bird family married into just about every other family in Hartford, Windsor, Wethersfield and especially Farmington. Also a Bird family branch went off to Northampton, MA and married into nearly all of those families. We refer to it as the Connecticut family thicket. :-)

To make matters worse, my gg-grandmother, Mary Emily Howes, married Ira Washington Bird in Jefferson, Wisconsin in the 1860's and by doing so, brought virtually every other New England family into the gene pool. It is no surprise that I have a fairly severe problem with gout, even though I'm only a little overweight. Thank heavens that my mother was from Georgia!!!! ;-)

Steve Bird

>In the case of our most problematic line, the Gozzards, in
> 17th-century Hartford County, Connecticut, it sometimes seems as
> though every surname married every other surname at least once in that
> tiny population. ;-)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

This thread: