From: kevin brewer <>
Subject: [DNA] 12 marker vs 67 marker testing
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:56:02 +1100

I recently used FTDNA to extend the analysis of my Y out to 67 markers
from the 12 of the Genographic Project, yet I am not sure I am any the
wiser about the geographic origins of my I1 haplotype. I am not
particularly bothered there are few matches so far, and am more
interested in the genetic journey. I would like to know what further
testing I need to do to clarify whether the I1 is Ken's so-called
Anglo-saxon, or whether it came from southern Sweden (according to the
Geno Proj) or via Norman (ie Viking) France (according to my father
based on no evidence whatsoever except family hearsay).

I have just been diagnosed with a genetic disorder of the muscles of the
hands called Dupuytren's Contracture, which allegedly is more likely to
occur in men of Celtic or Scandinavian descent, there are a few other
conditions which are involved like heavy drinking, something I have
never been guilty of. Does this condition, in company with my I1
haplotype, put my ancestors in southern Sweden as suggested by the Geno
Proj, or make me a rare Celt, in other words a Briton pre Anglo-saxon?

Also I am unsure what the significance is of matching one person at a
genetic distance of 1 is when as far as I can work out by a paper trail
there are very few others of my line in the last 500 years straying.
There are gaps in my family tree caused by bad paper work, records kept
in appalling condition, but I can get back to 1500 with a bit of
imagination, and none of the men in that trail lived anywhere except in
and around the original parish in south Gloucesteshire.

Here are my markers. I'd appreciate any advice as to what I should do.

Kevin Brewer

458 15
459a 8
459b 9