Subject: Re: [DNA] Recruiting from the UK
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:52:35 EST

Was Lindsey right when she said:

Thank you, Tom--another good idea--I'll try it for areas where the name
Britton is common. I'm sorry to say that most of us have no idea where our
ancestors lived before they arrived in America.

Lindsey

It seems reading the posts on genealogical sites, that a lot of
genealogy seems to stop at country borders. Why is this? Is it because
the border was established too long ago-1604 for Virginia, 70 odd years
after the beginnings of parish records in England? Or is it because of
some weird-my word-sense that history only started when the ancestors
arrived in that country. I wonder if DNA genealogy has taken off
because it immediately transcends the nation state and the limitations
of language and the problems of delving into foreign language records
which may not yield anything because off the effects of war?

Kevin Brewer

*****************************

Hi, Kevin,

I was referring to my Britton project, but I think that statement is
generally true for those whose ancestors arrived in Virginia in the 17th century
and/or settled in one of the burned record counties. In Henrico, where my
Britton ancestors lived, most records before 1677 have been lost, obscuring
at least some of my family the history.

Colonial families that moved from one state or colony to another are
usually hard to trace, too.

Some members of my project do know where their ancestors lived in England
in the 18th or 19th centuries, and one man knows where his ancestors lived
in the 16th century, but their ancestors arrived later.

Most of us don't know and are hoping to discover the link back home
through DNA testing. So far we've all been disappointed.

I have known genealogists who are willing to stop with the immigrant
ancestor, but I don't think that's true of anyone in my Britton project.

Lindsey

This thread: