From: "Charles Acree" <>
Subject: [DNA] Y STR Partial Repeats
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:00:49 -0600

I've mentioned that the distinguishing partial repeat in our Acree project (all tested by the Sorenson lab) is 13.2 at DYS385b. SMGF, in providing Marker Details within its Y-Chromosome data base, currently reports that the 13.2 value at DYS385b has been observed 29 times within 66,106 samples tested, for a frequency of 0.00044.

My understanding is that partial repeats are considered to be remarkably stable. Our project, which ties 19 of our participants to a particular early-18th-century Acree progenitor, involves mostly distant cousins, but also includes one father-son and one uncle/nephew. For us, the helpfully-identifying partial repeat at DYS385b has proven totally and dependably stable. One of our participants had earlier been tested at FTDNA and found to have "14" at that marker. When he was re-tested by Ancestry (using Sorenson), he was found to have, sure enough, the more precise 13.2.

Message: 8