From: Jim T <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 12 marker vs 67 marker testing
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:39:46 -0800 (PST)

I'll let others address your I1 questions. Dupuytren's contracture, sometimes called Viking's disease, is an overgrowth of connective tissue in the hand, not a "genetic disorder of the muscles". A recent study found that the gene responsible for the condition in one Swedish family is on chromosome 16 .
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118684060/abstract

There may be more than one cause of DC. Perhaps someone familiar with the 23andMe test could comment on whether that test could show whether you have the same mutation found in the Swedish family.

It has been speculated that the mutation occurred in Scandinavia and was spread by Vikings. It is now relatively common in Scotland and Australia, among other places. Finding that you have the mutation on chromosome 16 wouldn't tell you where your ancestors lived. DC runs in my father's family, which is English, Scottish, and German. It is not found in my mother's family, which is Swedish. Many people with no known Scandinavian ancestry have had DC, including Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

Jim Turner

> From: kevin brewer <>
>
> I recently used FTDNA to extend the analysis of my Y out to
> 67 markers
> from the 12 of the Genographic Project, yet I am not sure I
> am any the
> wiser about the geographic origins of my I1
> haplotype. I am not
> particularly bothered there are few matches so far, and am
> more
> interested in the genetic journey. I would like to know
> what further
> testing I need to do to clarify whether the I1 is Ken's
> so-called
> Anglo-saxon, or whether it came from southern Sweden
> (according to the
> Geno Proj) or via Norman (ie Viking) France (according to
> my father
> based on no evidence whatsoever except family hearsay).
>
> I have just been diagnosed with a genetic disorder of the
> muscles of the
> hands called Dupuytren's Contracture, which allegedly is
> more likely to
> occur in men of Celtic or Scandinavian descent, there are a
> few other
> conditions which are involved like heavy drinking,
> something I have
> never been guilty of. Does this condition, in company with
> my I1
> haplotype, put my ancestors in southern Sweden as suggested
> by the Geno
> Proj, or make me a rare Celt, in other words a Briton pre
> Anglo-saxon?

<snip>

> Kevin Brewer

This thread: