Subject: [DNA] Dupuytren's contracture
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:01:00 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2010 8:40:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> There may be more than one cause of DC. Perhaps someone familiar with
> the 23andMe test could comment on whether that test could show whether you
> have the same mutation found in the Swedish family.

The specific mutation wasn't identified, just localized somewhat to a
region of about 6 cM near the centromere of chromsome 16, containing many genes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=126900

It might be possible for families who have members with and without the
condition to see where their mutation is localized, as I wrote in my recent
'Satiable Curiosity column "Mix and Match: DNA Stories from an Ancestor."

http://www.jogg.info/52/files/SatiableCuriosity.pdf

If there is a single common mutation (founder effect), more distant cousins
would share DNA in the same vicinity. Whether this would be extensive
enough to show up on Relative Finder would be a function of how long ago the
mutation occurred.

Ann Turner

This thread: