From: Wilcox Lisa <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Recruiting from the UK
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:38:05 -0800

On Feb 8, 2010, at 6:52 AM, wrote:

>> It seems reading the posts on genealogical sites, that a lot of
>> genealogy seems to stop at country borders. Why is this?...
>>
>> Kevin Brewer
>>
> *****************************
>
> Hi, Kevin,
>
> I was referring to my Britton project, but I think that statement is
> generally true for those whose ancestors arrived in Virginia in the
> 17th century
> and/or settled in one of the burned record counties. In Henrico,
> where my
> Britton ancestors lived, most records before 1677 have been lost,
> obscuring
> at least some of my family the history.
>
> Colonial families that moved from one state or colony to another are
> usually hard to trace, too.

This certainly reflects my experience with 17th and even 18th century
Connecticut, and please do not even mention Pennsylvania in the early
19th century, which is the Black Hole of Calcutta with respect to
vital records.

It has literally taken generations of researchers for us to even guess
at our immigrant ancestor. It then turns out that, although he sailed
from England, he may have been French Huguenot, Dutch, German,
Belgian, or even Danish?!@#$?

Hence and perforce... DNA testing.

Lisa

This thread: