From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:09:03 -0500

If universal DNA testing would be beneficial for 99%, but detrimental for 1%,
the answer is not to deny the upside to the 99%, but to mitigate the downside
for the 1%.

We could prevent the tens of thousands of automobile accident deaths every year
by banning automobiles. Society has decided that the upside of having and using
automobiles is worth the very serious downside.

The upside here is worth it, too. IMO.

I wouldn't be against parents being allowed to opt their newborns out of DNA
screening, provided that if their child dies from an untreated genetic disease,
we can prosecute them for negligent homicide.

Diana