From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:56:31 -0600

The fallacy of subjecting everything in life to a cost-benefit analysis--as
if morality and human rights did not exist--speaks for itself.

If the government hands out baby DNA to "researchers" who clone (and then
kill) embryonic humans from that DNA, then clearly good people will refuse
to participate in such a "program."

But I'm sure there will be plenty of others who will demand to persecute the
good instead of prosecuting the evil.

> From: [mailto:genealogy-dna-
> ] On Behalf Of Diana Gale Matthiesen
> If universal DNA testing would be beneficial for 99%, but detrimental for
1%,
> the answer is not to deny the upside to the 99%, but to mitigate the
downside
> for the 1%.

> I wouldn't be against parents being allowed to opt their newborns out of
DNA
> screening, provided that if their child dies from an untreated genetic
disease,
> we can prosecute them for negligent homicide.

This thread: