From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA..
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:02:49 +1300

Diana,

You said

I wouldn't be against parents being allowed to opt their newborns out of DNA
screening, provided that if their child dies from an untreated genetic
disease,
we can prosecute them for negligent homicide.
<<<<<<<

Others on this list might argue that if they opt out of consenting to DNA
samples being taken, that they and their families should be barred from
receiving treatments discovered from any medical research using these
samples, given that their declining consent would be hindering medical
research for the greater good of society.

But this is off topic for a genealogical DNA list, as someone recently
reminded us. Perhaps we should be looking back to the original posting
which started this thread, and be asking if there are many millions of DNA
samples stored somewhere, can we as genetic genealogist find a way to access
those for genealogical purposes?

Perhaps 10% of the persons inquiring about my surname project are from
females who are desperate to discover the Y-DNA of their father's line, but
who have no living male relatives known. I recall one some time ago whose
father had just died, and whose brother had died a number of years ago as a
child. Perhaps the child was born after the USA started saving DNA samples
at birth?

Suppose the brother was born after the DNA samples were stored at birth,
could I advise the person of any way they could have the DNA sample of her
deceased brother located, and accessed for genealogical Y-DNA tests?

The questions to determine are...
1) if DNA samples "exist" for a particular deceased individual,
2) and if so "locate" the DNA samples,
3) but then the issue arises as to who should reasonably have "authority to
approve tests, or obtain custardy of the samples". In this particular case
the person could readily demonstrate that she was the sole "next of kin" of
her deceased brother.

Can this list discuss how a genetic genealogist can find and obtain custardy
of any stored DNA of deceased relatives held on in this government DNA
stockpile? If the current law does not allow release of DNA samples to next
of kin, is there any political approached people on this list could initiate
to have policy changes made to allow genetic genealogist access to this huge
DNA resource almost within our reach? I see this as a legitimate "on topic"
matter for this thread.

John.

This thread: