From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA..
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:50:01 -0500

Rather than create new law, whenever possible, the legal system likes to use
existing law to apply to new situations because most existing law has had
decades, if not centuries, to get the "kinks" ironed out.

The ownership of your DNA sample would presumably continue to be, as it is now,
governed by property law. When you die, the general public does not gain access
to your DNA sample any more than they would gain access to your home. The
ownership of your sample doesn't end, it moves to your heirs.

I don't see any prospect of the laboratory doors and DNA storage facilities
being flung open to genealogists, just because the test subject died.

Yes, I share the frustration. I have a key person in one of my projects who
died after testing 12 markers. Several of us have offered to pay for his
upgrade to 67 markers, but his widow won't allow it (no explanation as to why).
There is *nothing* we can do about it, unless she changes her mind or she dies,
too, and we have better luck with his children.

Diana

This thread: