From: steven perkins <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] CNN article: The government has your baby's DNA..
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:56:10 -0500

Alister:

What I'd like to know is if there are blood or tissue samples from my
relatives that were collected during their time in hospital for
treatments and if I can have access as next of kin? This would apply
to my father and his full and half-brothers and half-sister. I'm
looking for my maternal grandmother's mtdna and her first husband's Y
DNA.

Regards,

Steven C. Perkins

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Alister John Marsh <> wrote:

> Diana,
>
> You said
>>>>>>>>
> I wouldn't be against parents being allowed to opt their newborns out of DNA
> screening, provided that if their child dies from an untreated genetic
> disease,
> we can prosecute them for negligent homicide.
> <<<<<<<
>
> Others on this list might argue that if they opt out of consenting to DNA
> samples being taken, that they and their families should be barred from
> receiving treatments discovered from any medical research using these
> samples, given that their declining consent would be hindering medical
> research for the greater good of society.
>
> But this is off topic for a genealogical DNA list, as someone recently
> reminded us.  Perhaps we should be looking back to the original posting
> which started this thread, and be asking if there are many millions of DNA
> samples stored somewhere, can we as genetic genealogist find a way to access
> those for genealogical purposes?

This thread: