From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] MRCA Estimates
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:09:35 -0600

TMRCA calculations are, of course, useful in establishing guidelines for
relatedness in a genealogical time frame. However, genealogists can simply
use the guidelines and avoid the confusion of trying to interpret the
numbers.

However, from the context, I think you meant that the model is inapplicable
for reconstructing a genealogy. This is true. Unfortunately, a lot of people
were misled into trying it by presentations that emphasized the median,
rather than the range.

Bob Stafford

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Charles Acree <
> wrote:

> In our Acree surname project, for instance, MRCA statistics have proven
> totally inapplicable.

This thread: