From: Wilcox Lisa <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Puzzled
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:07:19 -0800

Thanks, John--

On Feb 11, 2010, at 2:40 AM, Alister John Marsh wrote:

> The "percentage" of direct male line males to carry on the surname
> therefore
> shrinks over time. If there is only one direct male line male at each
> generation, he is a bit vulnerable if an epidemic, war, or famine
> should
> decimate a population.

Which, if I'm understanding you, would equally be true of the direct
maternal line descendant...

> If you are thinking of a family descended from a male 10 generations
> back
> who left males down to recent generations, he may not have
> daughtered out,
> it may just be that you are unaware of where his living male line
> descendants currently are.

Eight generations back, as it happens. We cajoled a sample from the
last male we could find via dedicated research efforts. 1930 census
release may reveal a hitherto unsuspected far-flung male descendant,
but it's unlikely. Barring an NPE of which there's been no hint, it's
the end of the line for us.

Fortunately, we were able to confirm via Y-DNA the identity of the
brother of eight generations back, who has quite a few surviving male
descendants, all but one of them test-shy, apparently.

But then, they haven't met me. ;-)

Lisa

This thread: