From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Y Tree SNPs can not be counted
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:23:35 -0500

Mutations are events, and you are not counting events. You are
looking at something different: the genetic distance between the
extant haplotypes in a sample and the modal haplotype for that sample.

It's not clear its a useful thing to count at all (since variance
incorporates all that information, and more). But if you are going to
count it, most people would call it genetic distance.

VV

On Feb 12, 2010, at 11:09 PM, Anatole Klyosov wrote:

> By "counting mutations" I mean the followng. If we have, say, 500 of
> 67-marker haplotypes, and 14 haplotypes among them are identical to
> each
> other (base haplotypes), and the other 486 mutated haplotypes have
> (collectively) 1788 mutations from the base, then those 1788
> mutations are
> those that we count.

This thread: