From: "Anatole Klyosov" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Y Tree SNPs can not be counted
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:04:23 -0500

>From: Vincent Vizachero <>

>Mutations are events, and you are not counting events.
>You are looking at something different: the genetic
>distance between the extant haplotypes in a sample
>and the modal haplotype for that sample.

You can call them however you want. You need to see checkers on a car, but I
need to have a vehicle.

To me they are product, manifestation of mutations in haplotypes. They
provide me with a useful and important tool to measure timespans to certain
historical events. That is what counts.

>It's not clear its a useful thing to count at all (since variance
incorporates all that information, and more). But if you are going to
count it, most people would call it genetic distance.

Well, it is not clear to you but clear to me. Again, let "people" call it
however they want. It does not change a thing.

This thread: