From: "Irish III DNA" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA v. ISOGG R1b haplotree comparison updated
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 08:22:01 +1100

John wrote:-

On 2/13/2010 2:44 PM, Diana Gale Matthiesen wrote:
> So, what name do you think would be preferable for those who are L226/S168?

I have no idea. Is anyone sure L226/S168 takes in nothing but Irish
Type III? Dal Cas fits up to a point but the O'Loughlins weren't Dal
Cais. Have any Irish Type II been tested for the same SNPs? Dal Cais
could be an artifici9al tribal designation invented by the Irish
scribes. I don't know that accuracy is possible in these murky waters.

To date, there have been 41 Positive L226 results, all of the Irish Type III cluster.
See http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L226_Project/default.aspx?section=yresults
No Irish Type III has tested negative.

Mike Walsh of the R-L21 Plus project reports that over 150 Negative L226 results have now been recorded for L21+ folks across all
the remaining clusters including South Irish (Irish Type II).
Irish Type III is made up of the principal Dal gCais families of O'Brien, Casey, Hogan, Kennedy, McGrath with many single examples
of other surnames.
My paper attempts to explain this:- www.jogg.info/51/files/Wright.pdf

At the moment, Dalcassian is the best description for what we see in the DNA results, both STR and SNP and no doubt, some pedigree
manipulation has taken place in the past to engineer a connection with powerful families.
There are some O'Loughlins, and other non-Dalcassian families that show the Irish Type III STR signature, and this could be
explained by the common practice for followers of Medieval leaders to take their clan leader's name to show their allegiance.

The Irish Type III website has further information on this haplogroup:-
www.irishtype3dna.org

I say L226/S168 is Dalcassian for now, until further testing and study says otherwise.

Regards
Dennis Wright

This thread: