Subject: [DNA] Sorting the Irish via DNA
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:01:41 +0000 (UTC)

I have followed the exchange about the Leinster, Dal gCais, and Eoganachta Irish groupings with great interest because I am preparing a DNA presentation for 18 April in Dublin. I plan a basic DNA Powerpoint presentation, another on my own project (Byrne/Burns/Beirne), and also a third on Irish DNA findings in general. For the moment (bound to change) my thoughts for the latter lecture are to describe how we use STRs, SNPs, and 464x to determine clan connections. It seems safe to say that SNPs can be used to identify Northwest Irish (M222) and Dal gCais (L226); Eoganachta, and possibly Airghialla, can use STR indicators but as yet have no SNPs; and Leinster can use a combination of 464=CCGG, L159, and STRs as indicators.
Fortunately, I have plenty of time to figure out how to transfer charts and maps to Powerpoint, or to contact some of you for help.
Paul

This thread: