From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: [DNA] FTDNA web site bug can cost customers money?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:17:45 -0600

As we all know, the FTDNA Y-DNA Haplotree page has had, for some time now, a
serious bug whereby it occasionally displays some other customer’s
haplotree.  This causes customers much confusion, but I now think that it
can also cost customers money!

Today, a project member ordered a Deep Clade Extended C test.  This makes no
sense for him, because he already has an existing full Deep Clade test which
is not yet complete.  Ordinarily, the web site neither suggests nor accepts
such a redundant order.

But I suspect that due to the web site bug, the project member may have been
shown the haplotree of another customer who was eligible for a Deep Clade
extension.  The project member, thinking that FTDNA was suggesting this for
himself, placed the new order at his own expense.

I have asked FTDNA whether my interpretation of the situation is correct,
and if so, to cancel the redundant order. But until the bug is fixed, I
think all project administrators need to be on the lookout for such mistaken
orders.

This thread: