Subject: Re: [DNA] Sorting the Irish via DNA
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:17:40 EST

In a message dated 2/14/2010 1:02:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:
It seems safe to say that SNPs can be used to identify Northwest Irish
(M222) and Dal gCais (L226);

That's an interesting question to me. How broad is L226? Has anyone
been tested for it to date other than Irish Type III types?

I have to wonder why only four Irish modals have been discovered to date,
covering basically the UI Neill and Connachta (m222), the Eoghanachta
(Irish type II), the Dal Cas (Irish Type III) and the Leinster cluster (Lagin)It
may not be a coincidence that these groups were the most important
chieftains in the four provinces of Ireland as described in a history of Ireland I
read recently. Nothing much is known of the early origins of the Dal Cas
but O'Rahilly considered the Eoghanachta, Lagin and Connachta as recent
arrivals in Ireland at least compared to the known earlier population groups,
prominent among them the Erainn and Cruithin. No doubt there were many more
but history has not recorded their names. I have seen one other Irish
modal listed but it doesn't seem to match much of anything.

Why would this be?

John

John

This thread: