From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] TMRCA assessments
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:38:54 +1300

Anatole,

I personally think we are making progress!

I now have sufficient understanding of your system to personally have
increased concerns about it's reliability.

You have reached a point where there are questions about your system which
you do not want to discuss.

If your system typically arbitrarily treats a "modal" haplotype as an
"ancestral" haplotype for the basis of mutation counting, then it seems to
me your system has a significant flaw.

Your arbitrary decision in this regard could change the "total mutation
count" by a factor of 2 in the real life example I gave you a few days ago.
Whilst "a factor of 2" may not seem of any consequence to you it seems a lot
to my unmathematically trained mind. At least it seems a lot to have
swinging on an arbitrary decision.

It appears that having reached this point, further discussion is unlikely to
be productive.

John.