From: "Valerie Smith" <>
Subject: [DNA] FTDNA v. ISOGG R1b haplotree comparison updated
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:02:08 +1100

John said.....” I also do not know if describing M222, even in Ireland, as Ui Neill or

Connachta is completely accurate. A lot of people might argue about that.

There are lots of matches in Scotland and northern England that are most

likely neither in origin. A huge number of M222 matches in Ireland are of

unknown origin. We can't even assign a geographical origin to many of these

samples since most people don't really know where their ancestors came from.

Well, sadly only 17 Meaghers have participated in DNA Meagher research and joined the Meagher list, yet it is said that:

According to Hayes1, "the descendants of the Ikerrin clan are still most numerous in Tipperary, where some 50 per cent of the 8,000 who bear the name in Ireland live.”

Hayes, William J., “O Meagher, Meagher and Maher — and their dispersal in Tipperary,” Tipperary Historical Journal 1993, pp. 160-166

I await the day when some of these Meaghers test their DNA, for as one who has tested father's DNA with an expectation of some Tipperary connection I found the result to be R1b1b2a1b5. Which I was informed was that of Niall (of nine hostages and all that) North West not near Tipperary, however the tests proved M222- so we discard that theory.

I then turned my attention to Irish 111 but further testing revealed L21+ L226- M222- M37- P66- so he is not wanted there.

Oh that I should live long enough to have all this understood

Valerie Sydney

I also do not know if describing M222, even in Ireland, as Ui Neill or

Connachta is completely accurate. A lot of people might argue about that.

There are lots of matches in Scotland and northern England that are most

likely neither in origin. A huge number of M222 matches in Ireland are of

unknown origin. We can't even assign a geographical origin to many of these

samples since most people don't really know where their ancestors came from.

John