From: "Mike" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] software to calculate % contributions from variousancestors
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:03:49 -0500

Thanks Ann for the information on this program. While not the most user-friendly program, it does seem to work.

I created a basic GEDCOM file (12,427 people, using RootsMagic ver 3.2.6), imported it into Deconstruct and then ran a test using my name - - it took a couple of minutes. The results are both viewable and may be saved to a text file. One thing I noted is that when entering a given name, it must also include any middle name used in the GEDCOM file or it will not be found. I'm not sure if the name entries are case sensitive as I matched the case as well.

It tried looking for the documentation that were mentioned "Supplement 3 has some documentation about the program", but I could not find the supplement. Perhaps someone could provide a direct link to it? :))

Mike Z.
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 12:28 PM

I posted an abstract about "Deconstructing Jaco" a couple of years ago ... DECONSTRUCT uses GEDCOM files as input. It will find multiple pathways back to an end-of-line ancestor and give you the "expected" amount of DNA you inherited. The program may appear to freeze, so give it some time to complete. http://www.bi.up.ac.za/software/Deconstructp.zip

This thread: