From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] TMRCA assessments
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 00:45:36 -0600

The problem results from the inability to distinguish between duplicate
values due to common descent and those due to a second mutation. You cannot
get the correct count of mutations without the genealogy.

If you assume that multiple occurrences are due to a single inline mutation,
you will undercount by the number of parallel mutations.If you assume that
all are due to separate parallel mutations you will overcount by the number
that are inline.

Bob Stafford

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Anatole Klyosov <>wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> I still do not get a thing about a significance of "parallel mutations" and
> why to single them out compared to other mutations.

This thread: