From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Variance Assessment wrt back and parallel mutations
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:15:47 +1300

Anatole,

I guess we have thrashed this subject for a while. I have learned a lot of
positive things from the discussion, so it has been worth while for me.

I don't dismiss your system. Rather, I think that when selectively used in
conjunction with other contextual information it may be very useful in the
majority of cases. I quite like the basis of your system, and my comments
were more related to the details, than the concept.

To summarize my views, I think that your system would work well in cases
where an ancestral haplotype can be inferred with reasonably accuracy.
Clearly there will be other cases where circumstances make the ancestral
haplotype very ambiguous, and these may not suit your system.

Keep up with your good work in this area.

John.