From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] A few genealogists might match the Saqqaq ancient Eskimoon a part of the X chromosome
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 04:37:52 -0800

Anders,

I don't recall seeing specifics on this very interesting block that you (a
Norwegian) share with a Mongol and a Pima. How large is this segment, and
at what position on the X?

There has been a lot of discussion lately about 5 Mb segments seen in
uploads from 23andMe to Decodeme between Europeans and people from almost
everywhere outside of Sub - Saharan Africa (when comparing to the 52
reference individuals from the HGDP-CEPH panel). I don't recall anyone
mentioning segments as large as 10 Mb though.

David K. Faux.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Anders Pålsen <> wrote:

> I have not done any own research about the X the last few months but as
> this Saqqaq ancient genome appeared with downloadable data I have been
> wondering if this person may share my large native american X-chromosome
> segment I share with a Pima and a Mongol individual.
>
> The block size you mention is anyway small. As I demonstraded earlier on my
> first native american X-block presentation such small blocks usually are not
> exclusivly native american because they can appear among some central and
> east-asians (demonstrating the strong foundereffect among the native
> americans).
>
> Anders
>
> --- Den man 2010-02-15 skrev <>:
>

> > Do you think Saqqaq could be related to Native Americans
> > after all? One
> > of the matches let me know off-list that there could be a
> > Native
> > American in his X inheritance. Is it possible that
> > the Saqqaq's X
> > founder came from a different geographical region than the
> > Y and mtDNA
> > founders?
> >
> > Thanks for all your X work, Anders!
> > Kathy J.