From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA will introduce Family Finder
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:10:20 -0800

I wonder if Family Finder will be based on SNPs or STRs?

Probably a good idea to submit a new sample. My current sample has some
age and a lot use already ... I'd like my DNA to be there in case
someone in my family in the future became interested in our family
genealogy (currently I'm it).

> On 2/16/2010 6:42 AM, Lawrence Mayka wrote:
> Today, FTDNA accounts show an advertisement for an upcoming product called
> Family Finder-autosomal DNA testing, optionally integrated into existing
> yDNA/mtDNA projects. FTDNA claims that Family Finder can detect
> relationships up to 5 generations back (all descendants of one's
> great-great-grandparents). Bruce Walsh appears to be technical spokesperson
> for the product.
>
> Questions that come to my mind:
>
> 1) Since the product does not, unlike 23andMe, offer medical as well as
> ancestry information, will it be priced significantly below 23andMe's
> product?
>
> 2) Will FTDNA be able to use existing cell samples, both in theory and in
> practice? In other words, does Family Finder require so much fresh DNA that
> existing samples will rarely suffice? Walk Through the Y requires a new set
> of samples for this very reason.

This thread: