From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA will introduce Family Finder
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:38:58 -0800

This new product is distinguished by the lack of specifics provided for
those who are beyond the novice stage. How many markers, what type (STRs,
SNPs), what technology (chip or direct sequencing). It does not appear that
the X chromosome is included. If anyone is able to find out details please
post them here. Unfortunately the opportunity to learn more on the new page
at FTDNA was deflected by the fact that the link to both Bennett and Bruce's
presentations were inoperative (at least when I tried a few minutes ago).

Odd that the focus is on the descendants of one's great great grandparents -
that means of course 16 individuals. Not sure what advantage that this will
offer. There is only a super remote possibility that anyone I don't know is
going to take this testing and I will get an e-mail announcing a match.
First I would have to be convinced that the investment will pay off beyond
the testing already done via 23andMe and Decodeme in order for me to take
the bait.

Many of us now know the number of false positives we are likely to get via
23andMe's Relative Finder (most of the "cousins" beyond third it would
seem). The only true "cousins" I have found are those I recruited.

On the positive side, we are not as likely to be ignored or deleted by our
identified relatives as is to date a chronic problem with the people
identified as our matches with 23andMe's Relative Finder.

David K. Faux.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Roberta Estes <>wrote:

> Here is the Family Finder link:
>
> http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/family-finder.aspx
>
> Roberta

This thread: