From: Tim Wilder <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA will introduce Family Finder
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:08:35 -0600

The video in the announcement says that the will be looking at % of DNA
for closer relatives and shared segment block size for more distant
relatives. I don't know a practical way to do this except for a SNP chip
like Decodeme or 23andMe use. If I am right, the question is how many
SNPs are they going after? Will it exceed the density that 23andMe
employs? Will they include all known useful Y SNPs at the time of chip
design as 23andMe says they did?

If they are using a SNP chip, and don't talk about a medical market, it
may be just to keep from being beaten on by the regulators, who don't
want you to know your health traits without first bribing a member of
the government licensed medical monopoly.

As FTDNA only talk about going back five generations, they may 1) be
trying avoid over-claiming and having dissatisfied customers, or 2) be
using a low cost low resolution chip that is no good for small blocks.

What I want is some company that will do what 23andMe does, but at twice
or four times as many SNPs and I would be willing to pay more for that.

Illumina can already deliver twice the product as the one 23andMe is
using and has a road plan to go up to 5,000,000 SNPs as the whole genome
projects deliver information on what to include.

This thread: