From: "Elizabeth O'Donoghue" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Sorting the Irish via DNA
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:55:24 -0000

Kirsten, the other Irish Sea-Ewing modal is V2BRC - sorry I forgot to
include that. I believe both of them were entered by the same person, but I
don't think he is part of your 464xccgg project.

In any case, it would seem that you use the Ysearch tool to cast a wide net.
For me, I'm not searching to find hundreds of records loosely connected, so
my comments were made from a different point of view than yours. I'm
usually asking for matches with a higher number of markers tested in the
drop-down boxes. I hadn't even seen any Donohue matches within the
parameters I used when searching with YGX5M. When I followed your method, I
found them. Being land-locked Cavan men, it does beg the question of them
getting caught within an Irish 'Sea' modal...but that had no bearing on my
original remarks.

I took a look at the Donohue records for you. None of them have had any
advanced and/or SNP tests beyond the 37 marker tests.

I fully realize that we must leave the gates open for research - I did not
imply that it should be otherwise. I was just musing about how useful the
plethora of truncated modals is when trying to pin down true matches. For
me, it is not. Your approach shows me that many must use them so.

Thanks for the clarification.

Elizabeth

This thread: