From: SVass <>
Subject: [DNA] SNP L4 "private SNP" question?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:25:29 -0800

Kit #155510 in the FTDNA Jewish R1b project recently tested as positive for L4 and is called R1b1b2a1b4d. It is a member of a second Ashkenazi cluster of different surnames bearing this mutation.

I used the interclade calculator developed by Ken Nordtvedt (Generations4) to estimate the "coalescence" age for each of the two clusters and compute the distance to their common ancestor. Each is about 11 generations old and their common ancestor lived about 21 generations ago. Therefore, the mutation occurred more than 630 years ago. So my question is, when does a SNP become public?

Sam Vass

This thread: