From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] TMRCA assessments
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:46:48 -0600

Parallel mutations are not a problem for your TMRCA calculation.The
uncertainty in your count is, instead, due to "inline mutations." This is
something of a misnomer, since they are just deviations from the ancestral
due to a single mutation. You would overcount the number of mutations.

Bob Stafford

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Anatole Klyosov <>wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> I still do not get a thing about a significance of "parallel mutations" and
> why to single them out compared to other mutations. Then, I still do not
> get
> why folks here typically mention "back and parallel mutations" in one
> sentence.

This thread: