Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA will introduce Family Finder
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:08:58 EST

I'm still skeptical about the statement that FTDNA (i.e. the Affy 500K
chip) covers every SNP on the basic Illumina 550K chip, not to mention the
custom autosomal SNPs that 23andMe has added. We'll know for sure soon enough, I
guess, but it would be useful to have a list now in order to see if there's
enough overlap to allow reasonable comparisons. I haven't located a source
listing the Affy SNPs.

Ann Turner

In a message dated 2/17/2010 2:22:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> I had understood Ashley yesterday to say that the FTDNA test would cover
> every SNP that the 23andMe test covered. To me - that meant that it would
> include yDNA amd mtDNA SNPs - as 23andMe reports Deep Clade results.
>
> After offlist queries from Raymond Wing and Steven Perkins, I called FTDNA
> again and Ashley confirmed the understanding of many on this list that
> FTDNA will not be reporting yDNA or mtDNA SNPs. (I didn't ask about xDNA
> SNPs - but would expect that FTDNA isn't going to report them either)

This thread: