From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA will introduce Family Finder
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:52:49 -0800

What is of particular concern to me, and I know others who share my passion,
is the ancestral information written on the X chromosome. Apparently FF
will ignore the X. At present 23andme ignores the X when it comes to the
"Ancestry Painting" feature; but they do flag matching segments for the
Family Inheritance and Relative Finder features. Hence for my work, 23andMe
has the distinct edge. The latter will also parse the autosomes into Asian,
African and European. While one could endlessly criticize this feature due
to the limited reference populations, it does seem to work tolerably well.
Furthermore having a detailed (right down to my L20+ mutation) Y haplogroup
analysis, and a mtDNA haplogroup assignment which is correct for me (K1b2),
but for others this topic seems to give the algorithm hiccups. For example
C1 remain incorrectly classified. This is a rather long standing glitch
that needs to be fixed if possible. At present, for example, the customer
could be told that it is unlikely that they have a Native American ancestor
within the last 5 generations, in part because they have been incorrectly
lumped in with the M group.

David K. Faux.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Mike <> wrote:

> >From a purely economical standpoint, if someone already has their 23andMe
> ancestrial information and has opted into their RF, what is it that FTNDA's
> FF will do for them that could possibly justify spending $249 - especially
> if FTNDA's results will not include Y & mt DNA chromosomes.
>
> Mike Z.

This thread: