From: Robert Tarín <>
Subject: [DNA] King Tutankhamun's Y-DNA - Eureka!
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:03:09 -0600

List,

I had an eureka moment in deciphering the marker values displayed for King
Tutankhamun's lineage in the video clip at this link:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/king-tut-unwrapped-king-tuts-paternal-line.html

I should point out that in the video they are actually comparing results for
Akhenatan against those of Amenhotep III and not Tutankhamun himself. They
said they had to find at least 10 identical markers to prove the
relationship, which they did. In the recently released study, they clearly
identify Akhenatan as the father of Tutankhamun thus making Amenhotep III
the grandfather. The Y-DNA haplotype should most probably be the same for
all three.

I believe I have solved the mystery of Tutankhamun's Y-DNA haplotype and
most surprising, if accurate as portrayed in the video, his haplogroup
appears to be R1b.

Sixteen (17 if you count 385a and 385b) STRs were identified using the
AmpF\STR Yfiler PCR amplification kit from Applied Biosystems. In the video
the display follows the order of the Yfiler v2 program. The STR peaks can
clearly be seen and I only needed to determine the range of values used for
each marker. I did that from Yfiler website itself at
http://www.appliedbiosystems.com/yfilerdatabase/

It was then simply a matter of counting the peaks using the appropriate
range for each marker. Here is what I found from the video clip. Hopefully I
am accurate. The values for DYS393 and YGATAH4 are already revealed in their
published study as 13 and 11 respectively. There is a conversion (-1) for
YGATAH4 to achieve FtDNA nomenclature. I don't think any others need
conversion.

456 (13-18) = 15
389i (9-16) = 13
390 (17-28) = 24
389ii (24-34) = 30
458 (14-20) = 16
19 (10-19) = 8/14 (dual peak)
385a (7-25) = 11
385b (7-25) = 14 (? not clear in video)
393 (8-17) = 13
391 (6-14) = 11
439 (8-15) = 10
635 (19-26) = 23
392 (6-18) = 13
YGATAH4 (8-13) = 11 (10 FtDNA nomenclature)
437 (13-18) = 9/14 (dual peak)
438 (8-13) = 12
448 (16-24) = 19

Comments are welcome.