Subject: Re: [DNA] Relative Finder predicted 3rd cousin is actually 2ndcousin
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:54:06 EST

Very cool story. Maybe you all inherited a curiosity gene :)

You actually inherited less DNA than "expected" for 2nd cousins (otherwise,
23andMe would have classified you that way without giving a range). I'd
judge that your great-grandparents account for what you're seeing. The segment
size can be very large in early generations -- I have a first cousin once
removed, with whom I share virtually all of chromosome 4.

Ann Turner

In a message dated 2/18/2010 10:20:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> The shared segments on chromosomes 4 and 7 are huge. I'm wondering if we
> have more common ancestors than our great-grandparents to share so many
> segments. Most Relative Finder cousins share 1 or 2 segments and we share 5.

This thread: