From: argiedude <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Complete Khoisan and Bantu genomesfrom southernAfrica reported in Nature this week
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 00:21:48 -0200

Thanks. I would exclude from the list 3 of the 5 new sequences from Southern African, because only Desmond Tutu and a Khoisan were fully sequenced, the other 3 Khoisan seem to have been sequenced for about 1% of their genome. Also the recently reported Saqqaq from 4000 years ago from Greenland, for which I think "only" 5% of his genome was recovered. That would leave us with 9 full genomes. Still more than I thought.

The 2 new fully sequenced Southern Africans yielded 1.3 million new SNPs, or 0.65 million each, or a 6.5% increase in known SNPs thanks to either of them. I think the Saqqaq genome yielded ~13,000 new SNPs, and he had about 250,000 SNPs detected that are already known, so the increase, proportionately, would also have been in the same ballpark, percentage-wise.