From: Alan R <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] : variance of S116*
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:32:07 +0000 (GMT)

Tim

I think this discovery that there is a division between north and south in age for S116 and U152 that is even stronger than the east-west one is fascinating.  It is very surprising that this very strong trend has not been discussed before.  It has major implications for R1b1b2 history.  That leads to the simple question and request for some more number crunching - does U106 also follow the pattern of a much earlier MRCA date in the north than the south?  The trend regarding east-west would be of interest too but I think the north-south aspect is what I really would like to know.

This realisation that S116 and perhaps also all P310 is very young in the south (especially Italy) really could have a big influence on R1b1b2 history,  It seems to warn against the pooling of all R1b1b2 in studies, as this may be blurring results by mixing R1b1b2 from two entirely different periods and directions.

Alan

Dear Alan,
    I agree that the data does not show a strong division between
eastern and western Europe at this time.  We are still looking at a fairly
small dataset from eastern Europe with only 14 haplotypes to work with.  In
any case, the trend at this time is still there.
Sincerely,
Tim

This thread: